Saturday, March 30, 2024

The Lockers

I woke up from a dream about lockers. It didn't make sense. A little later it got me thinking about my experience with lockers throughout my life. We had our own lockers in high school for storing our books and coats. I remember mine vividly from North Catholic and the  Each year you got a new locker. I think my first experience with lockers was at the Germantown Boys Club and the swimming pool there. When you went there to go swimming you first waited in a line to get a locker to put your clothes in while at the pool. I went to that swimming pool regularly for many years.

Perhaps my most intense experience with lockers was in the Navy. In our barracks we always had a locker for your uniforms and personal belongings. Later that's where we kept our civilian clothes too. The lockers onboard our ships were a little different. They were part of the bunk. They were often called coffin lockers or racks. The mattress area lifted up and our locker was under the bunk area. That is unless you had the top bunk and then you had a regular standup locker instead of the bunk locker.

A lot of people use lockers when going to the gym or some club for playing golf. I haven't done anything like that in decades.

Just the other day I used a locker. Now I'm using medical lockers. I was having a scan of my injured shoulder and I was given access to a locker for my stuff along with a key. After the procedure I went back to the locker for my clothes and stuff. I guess we use lockers our entire lives.

No comments: