Sunday, March 3, 2024

Parable of the Sower - Book

Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler, 1993

I've read several novels by Octavia Butler but finally got to this one which has been on my to read list for a couple of decades. 

The novel was written in 1993 and the story takes place in 2026. It felt like a dystopian America after Trump winning a 2024 election where the president in the book was claiming to "make America great again". Very scary place where only the rich and powerful were safe. It was also a novel about people turning toward religion to overcome the violent disintegration of America from economic, environmental and political devastation. A very terrifying vision of America today. 

There is a second volume in this Earthseed series which I couldn't get myself to read right away. I will but I needed a breather. Maybe next month I will tackle it or maybe I should wait until after the election.

No comments: