Friday, October 6, 2023

Weavers Way Co-op

The Mt Airy Village Fair we attended in Philly was happening in West Mt Airy and was centered at the corner of Greene Street and Carpenter Lane. The Fair went several blocks in each direction from that point.  That corner is also the location of the original Weavers Way Co-op store which opened in 1973. The first photo here shows the co-op on the right side of the street.

I was living back in Germantown in 1974 and joined the co-op shortly after that. Becky and I were members when we lived in the area and shopped there often until we moved out of town in 1979. 

The second photo here is from their website. Becky and I, along with Clara, stopped in the co-op and walked around. I hardly recognized the place and they have expanded this location significantly over the years. I haven't been in this store since 1979. They now have four stores including Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill, Ambler and they just recently announced a new store in a renovated building on Chelten Avenue in Germantown that will open in 2024. The Chestnut Hill store is located in the former Caruso Market on Germantown Avenue where I shopped a lot for my grandmother living nearby. Becky and I stopped by the new co-op store there a few years ago. 

No comments: