Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Some Kinda Love - The Feelies

Some Kinda Love: Performing the Music of The Velvet Underground by The Feelies, 2023.

This live album of The Feelies playing a concert from 2018 where they played an entire set of the Velvet Underground was released this past Friday. Today I put it on for dinner listening and both Becky and I loved it. I couldn't believe how wonderful it sounded. They nailed it big time. I was also very impressed by the way their bass player Brenda Sauter does an amazing vocal interpretation of Nico's take on All Tomorrow's Parties. All of the songs they perform here with joy and love. 

When I was listening to this album today it immediately brought back the memories of seeing The Velvet Underground play The Trauma in Philadelphia in early 1968. Now that was an amazing show and I real eye opener although I was very disappointed that Nico was not on stage with the Velvets at that time. She apparently left the band at the end of the 1967 tour when the band stopped working with Andy Warhol. I only went to the Trauma a few times back in the day. It was located a block or so down Arch Street from The Electric Factory which was my main venue to see bands in the late 1960's along with the 2nd Fret at 19th and Samson and The Main Point in Bryn Mawr. I would see The Velvet Underground again in later 1968 at the Electric Factory along with Nazz. 

I loved The Feelies first album Crazy Rhythms from 1980 and I also have their second album from 1986 The Good Earth. I would see The Feelies in 1980 at Stage One in Buffalo.

One of the nice things about Spotify is the ability to listen to new music when it comes out. Things are so different now from the way I used to discover new music like The Velvet Underground in 1967 and The Feelies in 1980. 

No comments: