Friday, December 18, 2020

Restless - Chrissie Hynde

Restless: My Life as a Pretender by Chrissie Hynde, 2015

Finished reading in December 2020

I just finished this today. I was not expecting it to end so suddenly. It was an e-book and there seemed like there was a lot left but there was a substantial number of pages full of pictures at the end of the book. It also ended much earlier in her story than I was expecting. The book ends in the early 1980's around the time of the release of the second Pretenders album so I assume there will probably be a second volume of her life story.

That being said I did like this book very much. It was a fascinating story of her early life and rise to stardom told with candor and humor. I've read a lot of rock, soul and jazz memoirs over the past few years and this is one of the best. Very well written and highly entertaining in so many ways. 

I've always enjoyed her music very much. The first Pretenders album is one of my favorite all time records. I have 14 Pretenders albums including their box set and her Stockholm solo album.

She had a very interesting life and career path. Despite so many tragic episodes she is a survivor and I look forward to reading more about her later accomplishments. I hope she has another book in her.

No comments: