Saturday, December 5, 2020

Random Albums

I'm not really much of a random music person. I've always leaned toward planning out my listening. That is why I've been so obsessed over the years making mixes. I want to control the flow of music. I like planning it and making sure everything sounds good one song after another. I have occasionally put a mix on shuffle but all of those songs have already been selected in some way. The mega mixes I've recently made were put together with the random shuffle button in mind. Every song should sound good playing next to any other song in the mix at any time. That keeps things interesting.

I've never put my iTunes on random shuffle for songs or albums. I have also never played Spotify on shuffle. I'm too much of a control freak. However, I have started doing something different and a little random for me.

I have my iTunes sorted by album title. I pick an album I want to listen to and then let it play a few more albums. It's not completely random but sort of by album title. It does give me some interesting sequences of music. I usually do this in the afternoon and evening after I have played a few hours of my morning kitchen listening selections and I usually play three or four albums depending on length.

Here are some examples of artists from the past few days of the random album selections.

  • Miles Davis
  • The Flamin' Groovies
  • Wilson Pickett
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  • Aaron Neville
  • Eli 'Paperboy' Reed
  • Angel Olsen
  • Lee Fields & The Expressions
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • R.E.M
  • Chet Baker
  • Grant Green
  • Splitsville
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • The Beatles
  • Hall & Oates
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
  • Kylie Minogue
I'll keep doing this for awhile.  

No comments: