Saturday, December 26, 2020

Random Album Effect - Sweet


Another Random Album Effect set. Started this set with one of my favorite albums from the sixties that introduced me to country music through the back door. 

The Byrd's Sweetheart of the Rodeo was released in 1968 and is considered one of the pivotal albums in rock history. It certainly had an influence on my music listening over the years. I wrote more about this album in one of my Vinyl Spins a few years ago. One of the nice things about listening to the entire album this time was that it was a legacy edition CD that included alternate takes and some live cuts. Very nice.

The next album that came up was alt-country indie folk singer Dawn Landes' Sweet Heart Rodeo which was released in 2010. She is a quirky singer-songwriter and the album sounded very pleasant although nothing really spectacular stood out in the set of very nice songs. It had a more modern feel to it and sound good following the Byrds.

Weather Report came after that with Sweetnighter from 1973 and the change was very nice too. I've always loved this band and the first song was a quietly mellow but strong groove. This album was a perfect change of pace.

The next album was still another change of pace. The Sweet Inspirations' Sweets For My Sweet is a wonderful soul album released in 1969. There is certainly a lot of good soul music on this album although there were no hits. It still sounded great and I enjoyed it a lot.

The final album in the set was Squeeze's Sweets From A Stranger released in 1982. I was really excited about anything Squeeze recorded during the New Wave period of the late 70's to mid 80's and this album was right there in the middle of it. I had gone out and purchased every album they recorded during this period and enjoyed them all. This album was probably the album that wasn't great from start to finish. There were a few songs, especially in the beginning, that did not always hold up to their very high usual standards but I still liked hearing it at this time. 

  • The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo, 1968
  • Dawn Landes - Sweet Heart Rodeo, 2010
  • Weather Report - Sweetnighter, 1973
  • The Sweet Inspirations - Sweets For My Sweet, 1969
  • Squeeze - Sweets For A Stranger, 1982






No comments: