Thursday, December 17, 2020

Random Album Effect - Funeral

Another Random Album Effect selection today. I started out with one of my favorite albums of the last couple of decades. Arcade Fire's Funeral released in 2004. Lots of great songs on this album and I've used many of them on lots of different mixes. It was nice to listen to this album all the way through.

Shudder To Think is one of those bands that I like to listen to a couple of times and then I'm done with them. The album Funeral At The Movies released in 1991 was the second album I listened to today. It was not bad but nothing really sticks and sounds good in the long term. I hadn't listened to this album in many years and I feel like I really haven't missed anything. I have two other of their albums, Ten Spot from 1990 and Pony Express from 1994 and I should probably give them another listen too. They seemed mostly like a post-punk emo-ish pop band. Not bad but just not memorable.

Next up was Wussy's first album Funeral Dress from 2005. This sounded great. I love this band. I could listen to this a lot. This was followed by Wussy's Funeral Dress II, a later acoustic version of this album they recorded live in a store during Record Store Day in 2011. This was a fun listen to a more raucous electric album. Sounded good too.

When the Dirty Dozen Brass Band came on after that acoustic set it was a party time in New Orleans even thought the album was Funeral For A Friend released in 2004. It is very typical for a New Orleans funeral parade. Everyone was having a good time and it sounded like it.

The last set was an album by Reuben & The Dark. Funeral Sky is a dark brooding gothic gospel indie folk record and their first album released in 2014. It was also very much a rock album too and sounded pretty good. I think I only listened to this a couple of times when I first got it. There are some outstanding songs on this album and I'll be listening to it more often.

  • Arcade Fire - Funeral, 2004
  • Shudder To Think - Funeral at the Movies, 1991
  • Wussy - Funeral Dress, 2005
  • Wussy - Funeral Dress II, 2011
  • The Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Funeral for a  Friend, 2004
  • Reuben & The Dark - Funeral Sky, 2014







No comments: