Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Venus and Jupiter

While we were driving back from having dinner at The Steer I saw some lights in the sky. At first they looked to me like an aircraft but I couldn't tell if the lights were moving or not. It certainly didn't look like something I would expect to see on a clear night. I really did think about that recent Chinese balloon incident and then thought about the UFO I saw back in 1966. It just didn't look like an airplane with the one big light and one small light.

When we got home we looked around at the sky after getting out of the car and couldn't see it. I went to the backyard and there it was in the trees and I took a photo. At this point I could tell it wasn't moving and it looked like stars but we hadn't ever seen to stars in that configuration before. This was something new. 

I went online and immediately I saw someone had posted a question about what they were seeing in the sky. I looked a little more and quickly saw that we were seeing an unusual conjunction of the planets Venus and Jupiter being so close to each other. People in the astronomy field were very excited and there were lots of articles about what was expected to be seen tonight.

Well, it was the end of a very exciting day for us after most of it on the NCCC campus for Becky's art opening reception and artist talk.

No comments: