Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sleepy Hollow 50th Anniversary

The Sleepy Hollow morning radio show on WXPN was one of my favorite all time radio programs. This year they are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the show which means it started broadcasting in 1973. I started listening to it regularly in early 1974 when I moved back to Philadelphia after my four years in the Navy. Becky and I had that station on every weekend morning until we moved to Buffalo in June 1979.

One of the great things about the music played on that show was it's diversity as long as it was quiet. There was soft rock, folk, jazz, classical, vocal, etc. and mixed together very interestingly. That show was the inspirational influence on many of my mixes of music I made over the years. I often really tried to get that Sleepy Hollow feel. In recent years the playlist of music played on the various shows on XPN have been available on their website. I also have their app on my phone and can listen to their station. I do take a look at it to see what new music they are playing.

Now when we go down to Philadelphia to visit Katie and the kids she always has WXPN on the radio and on the weekend we listen to Sleepy Hollow.

Here is a link to an article on their website about the Sleep Hollow 50th Anniversary.

No comments: