Sunday, March 26, 2023

Bar Conversation

The other night I had walked over to our neighborhood tavern to meet some friends from the neighborhood for a couple of beers. It was a Thursday night which is usually busy but that night there was an unusually sparse crowd so we sat at the bar which was mostly empty instead of one of the backroom tables. Eventually a few people from the neighborhood came in and sat at the bar but there were only about two tables in use in the dining room. The place is usually quite busy on Thursday nights through the weekend.

Eventually I got into a conversation at the bar with a young twenty-something man who I learned had recently been married and moved in the neighborhood around the corner. He was new to Buffalo having only lived here a few months when his wife got a job at one of the local television stations in the weather department. He was from Erie PA and met his wife at Penn State. 

He really didn't know very much about Buffalo or the community and for instance they had not been down on Elmwood Avenue yet. He was very interested in my perspective of the city when I told him I was originally from Philadelphia and moved here many years ago. I told him about my experience here and how we originally only planned to be in town for a couple of years but liked living here so much that we stayed for over forty years and raised a family. 

He told me about their recent marriage and their love of traveling. I was surprised to hear their favorite place was Singapore. We talked about our trips to Rome, Florence, London, Paris, Dublin and Edinburgh along with my military travels during my Navy years. He was telling me about their plans for an upcoming road trip across the US this spring and asked if I had any suggestions of places to visit. He was happily surprised when I immediately suggested Santa Fe and my reasons for going there. They were planning to drive across the south and head toward the Grand Canyon but they hadn't considered Santa Fe. Now maybe they will.

So I had my couple of beers and an interesting conversation then walked back home.

No comments: