Friday, October 14, 2022

Eye Exam

I had an eye exam today at the Ross Eye Institute out on Sheridan Drive. This was my first time seeing an eye doctor in several years. I wasn't having a problem with anything but I'm nearly 71 years old now and I should get my eyes examined regularly. I hadn't been to Ross Eye in about a dozen years and then I had gone to their downtown office. More recently I had gone to an eye doctor on Elmwood Ave which then closed so it was back to Ross Eye where Becky had also just been for an eye exam.

I was shocked today that the office waiting room was so crowded. I counted about 40 people in chairs packed closely together. There were also several people standing around outside. Everyone was wearing masks. I waited about 45 minutes before seeing a technician who ran some tests. Then it was back to the waiting room for about another 20 minutes before I saw the eye doctor.

The eye doctor gave me a very through exam and she was very knowledgeable. She said I had the very early stages of a cataract which should be watched closely and I also had a very slight indication of early glaucoma although I certainly do not have any symptoms of that problem. She was also very interested in my family history of aneurysms. She was very fascinated about my situation with an aneurysm located directly behind my eye and the potential possibility of a rupture or bleed causing blindness. She is having me tested and scanned to monitor any potential pressure on the eye from a possible growing aneurysm. She considered me a special case. I feel pretty good about it.

It turned out that there were some significant staff shortages today and both the technician and doctor apologized for the long wait time. That being said, everyone I dealt with today was very professional and nice. After my examination with the doctor I then saw another technician who did some eye scan pictures. Then I was back to the checkout desk where I made some future appointments. One for special scan in January and then annual exam next October. My appointment today was at 1:30 and I got out to the parking lot about 3:50 pm. 

No comments: