Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Cheesesteak Sauce & Onions

Every time I am visiting family in Philadelphia I try to make sure I have a Philly cheesesteak sauce and onions. To me that is the standard. Now if I was living there and had access to Philly cheesesteaks all the time then I would probably be tempted to try some variations. Come to think of it I did that last year when we met some family members in Germantown at the Attic Brewery and Deke's BBQ near Wayne Junction. At that time I had a BBQ Cheesesteak. That was a first and it was delicious.

Over the years when we stayed at Betsy's house during our visits I would get a cheesesteak from somewhere nearby. Usually at the Pizza Como in Red Hill or sometimes over at Pudges. If I was down in the city I often got one at the Reading Terminal Market. Recently I had been getting them at Dalessandro's on Henry Avenue in Roxborough. During the 1970's when I was back living in Germantown I went either there or across the street to Francesco's. It was nice have two good cheesesteak places close to each other and to us. Now they are close to Katie's house but instead of Francesco's there is a new restaurant there called Chubby's. I had a cheesesteak sauce and onions from Chubby's delivered to the house on our last night in town and it was very good.

One thing that has changed over the years since I've not been living in Philly has been the descriptions of a steak sandwich on a menu and the variety of slight or major differences. I had to order a pizza cheesesteak in order to get sauce and onions. Maybe if I was in the restaurant I could just say cheesesteak sauce and onions and they would know what I mean but to order online one needs to be very specific to the menu items.

One other thing about Philly cheesesteaks. Never go to either of the two tourists traps located across the street from each other in South Philly. Totally not worth it.

No comments: