Monday, October 31, 2022

Bird Guilt Trip

Last week during the very nice Indian Summer weather I took out the bird feeder and attached it to the porch. I was winterizing a lot of things and getting the shed storage area in order and decided to get the feeder out but I did not put any seeds in it yet. It was still early for that and there was plenty of seeds and stuff around for the birds to eat.

Well, it didn't take long for the birds to start coming around the feeder even though it was empty. Then they began to hang around on the porch railing and the shed roof. We actually saw some of them seemingly staring at us through the kitchen window and giving us a guilt trip. This started happening more and more. They wanted their seed. A couple of cardinals have been hanging around looking for their handout.

One of the little juncos has been sitting in the bottom of the feeder and looking longingly at the kitchen window as if pleading for some seeds. This happened again today. Also today a group of sparrows were perched all over the feeder itself and the pole it is hanging from. Then a larger group of them stood around on the shed roof waiting for something to happen.

Yesterday I had the birdseed problem. I had gone down to the basement where I had the bag of birdseed stored in a large covered plastic container. The bag was about a quarter filled. I was going to put the seed in the plastic dispenser to get ready for filling the birdfeeder sometime in the coming week or so. When I opened the container I was hit with a bad stench. Apparently the birdseed had gone bad. Very bad. There was a wet sludge in the bottom of the bag. I threw everything out and then washed out the containers. So now I need to go out and buy a new bag of birdseed sometime this coming week. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: