Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The Olympics are Over

The 2022 Winter Olympics and I'm relieved. I almost didn't realize it was over for a day or so. It certainly wasn't one of the better ones and it had it's share of controversy including the usual Russian cheating. I really didn't care for the coverage this year. The games were very strange and unwelcoming. Something about it was off. Maybe it was all the Chinese censorship and restrictions. Maybe it was all the curling which I thought was excessive. Every evening when we turned on the Olympics it was curling again and again. Some of the channels we watched in the extended coverage did not include commentary. You just saw the competition without anyone saying anything at all. No descriptions. No explanations. No comments. Turn the station.

This was also the first time I had no desire to watch any of the opening or closing ceremonies. I just didn't want to watch all the Chinese propaganda. Norway won the most medals followed by Germany and China. I never got to see any of the men's hockey games. Covid-19 hung over the games and caused many restrictions. The figure skating controversies cast a dark cloud over the Olympics.

The television ratings for this Olympics were the lowest in the history of televising the Olympics. Ever. I was not surprised. 

The next Summer Games will be in Paris in 2024 and the next Winter Games will be in Milan in 2026. Hopefully things will be better.

No comments: