Sunday, February 20, 2022

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio

I've never tired of hearing something new and exciting in music. I especially like a great Hammond B3 organ player. I read about the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio and listened to his two most recent albums today while enjoying Becky's pot roast Sunday dinner and the dinner prep where the funky organ soul jazz of this band really made our day. It's gritty and greasy vintage r&b jazz with plenty of interesting improvisation along with the funk. Kitchen dancin'. Highly recommended. 

I've always loved the classic organ based soul jazz of Jimmy Smith, Booker T., Jack McDuff, Shirley Scott, Richard Holmes, etc. but it does have a harder funkier newer edge. It's great to see some contemporary jazz carrying the torch. This new band does an amazing cover of Wham!'s Careless Whisper.

I'm looking forward to listening to his other two earlier albums tomorrow.

No comments: