Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Barcelona Dreaming - Book

Barcelona Dreaming: A Novel by Rupert Thomson, 2021

I was surprised at how fast I read this novel which I finished in four days because this book wasn't a fast paced thriller or science fiction story. It is a novel about living in Barcelona by a British author who had lived there and it was more like a collection of interlocking stories of a group of people living and experiencing the city in the mid 2000's.

I kept thinking I was going to put the book down because it really wasn't going anywhere. It just seemed to meander along with the lives of these folks but it was so well written that it kept me focused. The stories were also very unpredictable with some dull parts but also compelling and fascinatingly interesting. They were all over the place but of course there also was a strong sense of place... Barcelona. 

Something like this I normally would read over several weeks but here I was going through it in four days. I'm still not sure how that happened. Well, part of it was that I was very interested in the city of Barcelona. I had spent two weeks there in 1972 while in the Navy and I remember that experience very well. I loved that city and it was a highlight of that six month cruise throughout the Mediterranean Sea. 

I picked up this book after reading an excited post from a FB friend about one of the authors earlier books. I looked up the author and then found this book that takes place in Barcelona. It was that connection that made me want to read the book right away and probably why I got through it so fast.

No comments: