Monday, November 20, 2023

Gris Gris - Dr. John the Night Tripper in Concert

I was all set to put up different Artist Performing the Album concert post when I saw that today was Dr. John's birthday so I switched to his first album Gris-Gris and my seeing him a few months later at the Atlantic City Pop Festival. His real name was Mac Rebennack from New Orleans. I really didn't know much about him before seeing his show except I had been hearing some of his music played on one of the Philly "underground" rock stations as Dr. John the Night Tripper. Songs like Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya-Ya and I Walk On Gilded Splinters.

There were a lot of bands playing that Festival in August 1969 but I was surprised and excited by the unique performance of his New Orleans blues style funky voodoo inspired psychedelic rock and elaborate theatrical stage show. His band members were wearing lots of feathered costumes and headdresses that reminded me of the Philly Mummers String Bands. There was plenty of dancing on the stage and some weird voodoo medicine rituals. It was a lotta fun. After the show I went out and bought the Gris-Gris album.



No comments: