Thursday, November 9, 2023

Doctor Visit

I went to the doctor's office today and met with his PA. I usually make a list of items on a piece of note paper to talk about with the doctor, nurse or PA and at the top of today's list was getting flu and covid booster shots. I had contacted the office using the portal and asked about getting the shots which I had been planning to get soon a the pharmacy. The nurse gave me both shots right away. 

We've been wanting to get our latest covid booster shots before Thanksgiving. So I got mine today and Becky will get hers next week. She did get her flu shot today too but she didn't want to get them both at the same time. The nurse who gave me the shots said we don't need to mark our covid shot cards anymore. According to my covid shot cards this was my 8th vaccine shot or booster. The first one was in February 2021 at UB.

I made the appointment to get some help concerning my ongoing hip pain. I really need some better pain medication. The meloxican just hasn't been working for me and the recent physical therapy had only made my problems worse. I had an x-ray done a few months ago which indicated some arthritis of the hip but something else has been going on too. Robin, the PA believes it is an issue with my lumbar spine.

She gave me an examination and indicated that I had very good bending and stretching movement. She wrote a prescription for me of a steroid painkiller and then wrote up an imaging request for a CATscan of my spine. The imaging center will contact me to set up a time for the scan. I have a referral  for the evaluation of spinal scan by a doctor at UB Neurosurgery. Since I am already a patient there for my aneurysm issues I will be able to get an appointment relatively quickly. Then we will see what the problem is and how we can treat it.

We know so many people who do not go to see a doctor regularly including some members of our family. I just don't understand it. My brother Tom never went and look what happened to him. I want to go for regular checkups and if I'm having an issue with something then I will go immediately and get it checked out. I was talking to the PA today about my eye problems and cataract issues and she that they along with my hip problems were bumps in the road. I'm fortunate not to have major health problems at this time. I'll be 72 next month.

No comments: