Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Diamond Dogs - David Bowie in Concert

Another album, another artist, another live show at the time. Diamond Dogs - David Bowie in Concert at the Tower Theater The album Diamond Dogs was on the radio all the time in Philly following the Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust album. He was big. I deeply regret having only gone to one Bowie concert when I had other opportunities.

John, my friend and housemate at the time, and I saw David Bowie perform at the Tower Theater in July 1974. He played 6 shows in 6 days at the Tower. I don't remember which day we went. It was a fantastic show and we enjoyed every minute of it. These series of concerts were recorded and became the source material for the David Live album released later in 1974.

So why didn't I go see him again. I really wanted to on his Station To Station Tour in 1976 and then again after the Berlin Trilogy in the late 70's. Also many other times over the years. I had stopped going to large venue concerts in hocky arenas and stadiums. None. Ever again after 1975. I was just very tired and disappointed with those big fancy shows. I liked clubs and small venues like theaters. To me the largest venue was someplace like the Tower Theater or Shea's Buffalo.  I would go to some occasional larger shows outside like on a waterfront or downtown square but I was done with the big arena concerts. I'd much rather see up and coming artists than jam into a hockey arena to see tiny people far away on a stage or have to be satisfied watching them on a big TV screen. I was done with all that at a very early age but I continued to go to shows for the rest of my life.

No comments: