Sunday, February 5, 2023

Joe's 75th

My brother-in-law Joe Berret just celebrated his 75th birthday. Joe has been a part of our family for well over 50 of those years. Betsy and Joe were married in June 1971 right after he got out of the Navy. I first met him when he was in the Navy and dating Betsy. I had talked to him about my own enlistment plans and he told me in some detail what to expect at boot camp. At the time I was waiting for orders. Later when I was stationed on the USS Portland homeported in Little Creek VA  Joe was also stationed on a ship in that port. We rode together a couple of trips back and forth between Little Creek and Philly shortly before he got out.

Joe has always been a big collector of music just like me although he was more interested in the artifact of the record while I was mostly there for the music. He actually collected lots of stuff and was a big flea market guy just like his father. He would buy and sell records at flea markets too.

He has a great collection of records, posters and other music memorabilia in his basement rec room / bar. We have spent many nights there over the years.

We got to know Joe very well because after Becky and I moved to Buffalo we would stay at Betsy and Joe's house when we came to visit the family in PA. Early on we stayed with them at their home in Red Hill and then later at their current house. We were always made welcome and we always had a wonderful time there. Their home was our base of operations when we were visiting Mom and everyone else in the family.

Since Katie and Todd moved to Philadelphia we have not stayed at Betsy and Joe's house. We do miss it although it's a whole other thing to be staying with our grandchildren. 

Joe has had some health issues in recent years but he still looks good. Betsy and Joe always take the time to drive down to Mt Airy and spend some time with us at Katie's house when we are in town.

No comments: