Saturday, October 24, 2020

Watching YouTube Videos

Recently over the past few months I've started playing classical music videos on YouTube. I pick out something that runs for an hour or two and let it play while doing other things around the house. I've been a little partial to the cello. There is a lot of wonderful classical concerts in a variety of situations. Mostly from venues throughout Europe and always amazing to watch. I've done it enough times so that now the channel has some history and algorithms to work with to continue playing videos that I would have chosen myself.

Becky and I have also ended an evening at the TV watching a few videos on YouTube before going to bed. We have been watching a lot of the NPR Tiny Desk concerts and also performances from KEXP. We really like watching jazz and some rock performances. We always make sure we are watching a live show and not just still photos with a song from an album playing. We also watch some comedy skits from Saturday Night Live, John Oliver and some stand up comedy from Jim Gaffigan. 

This has helped us during these months of the pandemic. We found ourselves keeping the TV on a lot of the day while we were doing other things around the house. I also usually had music on the stereo in the kitchen. It was usually news on the TV but over the months it was more and more bad news with the pandemic raging, trump ignoring the crises and then the long slow oncoming election season. We needed something else on the TV. Sometimes I would put a soccer game on but there wasn't enough games.

So I found those jazz and classical concerts to play. 

No comments: