Monday, October 26, 2020

Sticky Fingers & Rolling Stone - The Magazine

Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine by Joe Hagan, 2017

Finished reading in October 2020.

I've always had a love hate thing with Rolling Stone magazine. After reading this book I now understand why I've had those feelings for 50 years... Jann Wenner. I love the music but hate the way Wenner presented it as founder, editor and publisher of the magazine. Plus he is a serious asshole in every way.

The book was a fascinating account of the time and there were many insights into the music scene of the sixties and seventies but it was also a glimpse into the personal foibles and I really was sick of him by the end of the book. He constantly treated people horribly in his constant drive for fame, wealth and power. A greedy back-stabbing con man. However, the book was a fun romp through the world of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I started my first subscription to Rolling Stone in the summer of 1968. That lasted a couple of years and expired while I was in the Navy. Later I got another subscription in 1974 that lasted two or three years until I got fed up with their stupid reviews and terrible coverage of the music I loved. I especially disliked their total disregard for black music of any kind. Over the years I would pick up an issue now and then but never saw enough good to warrant another subscription. During my years working in libraries I would always look at an issue now and then while eating lunch but still didn't see enough to commit. 

I continued to read everything I could get my hands on about music and records. I subscribed to many different music magazines over the years and enjoyed most of them more than Rolling Stone.

Here are some of the other music magazines I've subscribed to over the years:

  • Creem
  • Trouser Press
  • Downbeat
  • Spin
  • Musician
  • Dirty Linen
  • Crawdaddy
  • Paste
  • Mojo
  • Under the Radar
  • American Record Guide
  • Uncut
  • No Depression
  • High Fidelity
  • New Music Express
  • Broadside

No comments: