Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Keys to the House

Down in the basement of our one hundred and thirteen year home we found a hook with a number of keys hanging from it. Later I found a drawer in a cabinet with another set of keys. 

All of the old doors around the house have key holes. Are these the keys? Never checked. We just left them on the hook where we found them. They are still there. I just recently took this photo.

One wonders what was locked up so long ago.

Last year I was on the front porch and a group of elderly people were walking along the sidewalk looking at houses. They stopped in front of our house and called up to me. Apparently they were from the family that lived in this house up until the 1970's. We talked for a while and they were thrilled when I took them into the backyard. One of the men said he helped his father build the stone fire place in the back when he was a child. I almost offered to let them walk through the front door and out the back door of our house but I didn't know what Becky was up to and didn't want to surprise he. I also didn't know the shape of the house at the moment. They didn't ask so I didn't offer.

Their father was a dentist and I had heard that from another neighbor. I did find out that he had his office and dental chair around the corner in the building where the Parkside Meadow restaurant is now. I was glad to hear that because I didn't like the idea that maybe he treated people in his home and there could have been a dental chair somewhere on the first floor.





No comments: