Sunday, October 4, 2020

Janis Joplin 50 Years Ago

Sadly Janis Joplin passed away 50 years ago today. I mourned her up on our third floor today listening to some of her albums while gazing at the record sleeves just as I did more than 50 years ago with these very same records. 

I was a big fan of her when I was a teenager and fortunately got to see her three times. Oddly each time I saw her she was fronting a different band. First time was in 1968 at Philadelphia's Electric Factory with Big Brother & The Holding Company. Then I saw her at the Atlantic City Pop Festival in 1969 with her Kozmic Blues Band and then in Chicago at the Ravinia Park with her Full Tilt Boogie Band a few months before she died.

I've collected all of his albums, several live albums, a couple of best of collections including the Janis Box Set. We wonder what she would be singing now had she not died at 27 years old.


No comments: