Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Pink Famingos

I first saw John Waters' Pink Flamingos in 1974 at the TLA Cinema on South Street in Philly. The film was released in 1972 but became a cult classic after it's successful run at the TLA. I wrote more about the TLA Cinema here.

It was one crazy movie and a bit shocking even for a midnight cult classic of which I'd seen a few. I didn't know anything about John Waters at the time but would see a few more of his films over the years. 

"The filthiest people alive" is what the movie was about and certainly had a lot of weird shit going on. Sometimes literally. Divine was also some weird leading "lady". I saw this movie with a bunch of friends and afterward we needed a drink in a bar down the street from the theater. Several people in our group were completely grossed out. I had talked up seeing this film and I had to take some shit for getting everyone to see it. Oh well. 

Here is the original 1972 trailer for the film.

No comments: