Thursday, October 1, 2020

Change of Season

Fall is here and Winter is coming. You can feel it in the air and see it on the ground. This will be the first fall and winter of the pandemic and despite all the happy talk from the administration things are going to be bad.

We had planned to be in Italy this Fall but that certainly didn't happen. Not only did we not want to go but Italy had shut down travel from America because of the mishandling of the pandemic here.  When in Rome...  Maybe next year.

But here and now. We're planning a trip to Philadelphia later in the month to visit with our grandchildren but that will be it. No other plans. Probably nothing for Thanksgiving and nothing for Christmas. No gatherings beyond the immediate family. 

No restaurants either. We'll be going to the Pausa Art House for Becky's art show but that is about it. I can't imagine being in bars and restaurants over the winter months unless somebody gets really creative with a warm outdoor patio. Maybe.

I'm going to miss sitting in the backyard and the front porch. It has helped us get through the shutdown and the stay at home period that unfortunately is continuing. I'm looking at how we will continue to cope. Becky will still have her studio outlet but I will need to be more creative in my use of space. I now have a comfortable chair at the kitchen table where I use my laptop. I am considering a more useful chair on the second floor where I can go up and read while Becky is watching a movie in the living room. Sometimes I find that distracting if I'm trying to read while a movie is on. Of course I will watch my share of movies and TV shows too.

I have also put together a shelf of books I want to read this coming winter. Most are books I've read decades ago and would like to take a look at them again. 

All in all we are still better off than most people in the pandemic. Hopefully a new administration will make things better for everyone.

No comments: