Thursday, September 24, 2026

Tom's Only Life Mix

I originally put this mix together in June 2014 a couple of weeks after my brother Tom died. At the time I really wasn't thinking about specifically about Tom and the music he loved and this mix was really about him. But it turned out to be about me and my grieving for my brother. Later when I played this set of music I always thought of Tom because this all came out as part of my grieving process. It's happening again for my friend Tom who recently passed away.

The original It's Only Life mix was about an hour and a half long and at the time I put it together I described it as "pop songs of sad contemplation about life and death. Sometimes over the top and sometimes down in the depths."

Tom Loonan and I were music buddies. We listened to a lot of music together and went to lots of music clubs together for live performances. His wife wanted some jazz music playing in the background at his visitation afternoon and I was asked to put something together. I made a four hour jazz mix and called it Tom's Body and Soul Mix.

But this past week I was also listening to this mix here that I had made for my brother Tom 12 years ago at his sudden death. I could get it out of my head so I took off with it and expanded it into a 4 hour collection of "pop songs of sad contemplation about life and death. Sometimes over the top and sometimes down in the depths."

It starts out with the original hour and a half that I made with my brother in mind then I kept going in the same vein, heart and soul for another two and a half hours. Actually for about four hours and twenty minutes. It was hard to come to an end and I think it will continue with another mix I'll put together after the memorial service on Saturday. 

So I spent several days working on this new version of It's Only Life and edited it over and over again trying to get it right about how I was feeling. What songs worked and what ones didn't. It was trial and error but now I'm satisfied but of course this is only for me to judge, it's how I feel. The first thing I did when I felt it was completed was to change the name. Now the mix is Tom's Only Life mix.

I've added it to my YouTube Music collection of mixes. Spotify too. 

Tom's Only Life - A Reflections Mix

  1. It's Only Life - The Shins
  2. Tiger Mountain Peasant Song - Fleet Foxes
  3. Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
  4. In This World - Moby
  5. Lost Cause - Beck
  6. No Surprises - Radiohead
  7. In My Place - Coldplay
  8. Turn - Travis
  9. Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
  10. Lightning Crashes - Live
  11. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
  12. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
  13. Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
  14. Building A Mystery - Sarah McLachlan
  15. With Or Without You - U2
  16. No Distance Left To Run - Blur
  17. Do You Realize?? - The Flaming Lips
  18. Trying To Get To Heaven - Bob Dylan
  19. Keep Me In Your Heart - Warren Zevon
  20. Hurt - Johnny Cash
  21. Only Time - Enya
  22. A Voice At The End Of The Line - M. Ward
  23. Revelator - Gillian Welch
  24. The Greatest - Cat Power
  25. The Only Way - Jim Noir
  26. Don't You Know - The Sleepy Jackson
  27. The Funeral - Band of Horses
  28. Crown of Love - Arcade Fire
  29. Blonde on Blonde - Nada Surf
  30. New Slang - The Shins
  31. Waltz #2 - Elliott Smith
  32. Five String Serenade - Mazzy Star
  33. Night Swimming - R.E.M.
  34. Tower of Song - Leonard Cohen
  35. Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel
  36. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
  37. From a Distance - Nanci Griffith
  38. The Nightingale - Julee Cruise
  39. Ode To My Family - The Cranberries
  40. Sonnet - The Verve
  41. Cannonball - Damien Rice
  42. Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
  43. For Emma - Bon Iver
  44. Cloudy Shoes - Damien Jurado
  45. So Well - Dawes
  46. Morning - Beck
  47. Cold Coffee - Assembly Of Dust
  48. Sing - Travis
  49. Million Dollar Bill - Middle Brother
  50. Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings - Father John Misty
  51. These Days - Glen Campbell
  52. Falling Apart - Brian Wilson & Emile Haynie
  53. Take Me To Church - Hozier
  54. Epic - Calexico
  55. Dust to Dust - The Civil Wars
  56. Thinking 'bout You - Yusuf
  57. He Doesn't Know Why - Fleet Foxes
  58. The Way That He Sings - My Morning Jacket
  59. Lonesome Tears - Beck
  60. Exit Music (For a Film) - Radiohead

No comments: