Crucible by John Sayles, 2026. Yesterday I finished this incredible work of historical fiction based on 15 years in the life of Henry Ford and the violent rise of the Ford Motor Company in Detroit. The book follows the stories of several people involved with Ford's many endeavors of the time including his auto plant assembly lines in Detroit, his Fordlandia rubber plantation and village in Brazil, his private security army, his fight against the efforts to unionize his factories, his supporting the war effort, etc. All this happening during the times of the Depression, the War, race riots, the Great Migration, his antisemitism and support for fascism. Lots of real historical figures throughout the book too.
This was a very fascinating book although sometimes it was hard to follow what was going on since there were no chapters and dates of the incidents as they happened. This novel would make a really good television series.
This is the first time I've read a book by this author but I've seen lots of his movies.

No comments:
Post a Comment