Friday, September 25, 2026

Empire's Crossroads - The Caribbean Sea

Empire's Crossroads: A History of the Caribbean from Columbus to the Present Day by Carrie Gibson, 2014. I finished this book today after spending about two months reading it.

This book was a well documented fascinating story of exploring the "New World", a quest for empire, the search for gold, growing tobacco and sugar, the slave cultures, pirates, the blend of so many different cultures, races and peoples including the indigenous inhabitants and then on to the banana republics, corporate domination and the cold war. The modern era of the book seemed to concentrate on Haiti and Cuba.

I've been interested in the history of the countries and islands of the Caribbean Sea ever since I spent several years in the area as part of the US Navy's Caribbean Ready Group in the early 1970s. I visited over 20 of the islands and countries in the region and enjoyed the food, the music and the people.

Over the years I read histories of many of these individual places such as Panama, Haiti, Puerto Rico,  Cuba, Jamaica, Costa Rico, Nicaragua and many more. However, this is the first time I read a book that was an in-depth historical overview of the entire region. 

A list of countries and islands I visited in the Caribbean over 50 years ago between 1971 and 1973.
  • Cuba
  • Puerto Rico
  • Haiti
  • Dominican Republic
  • Panama
  • Costa Rico
  • St. Thomas
  • St. Croix
  • St. John
  • Aruba
  • Martinique
  • Guadeloupe
  • St. Kitts 
  • Columbia
  • Venezuela
  • Barbados
  • Curacao
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Hondoras
  • Mexico
  • Bahamas

No comments: