Sunday, November 5, 2023

Enjoying the Backyard Cabana

Yes, after all these years I've recently been calling our backyard sunroom off of the shed our cabana. I guess I started really appreciating that space more over the past few years that I've been using it all winter long as a backyard retreat. I began doing that during the first year of the pandemic. So instead of just storing a lot of garden stuff in that space I cleared it out, sealed it and made it useful for the winter.

I enjoy that space during all the seasons but now it's time to get it ready again for winter. I've been working on it over the past week or so. It's taking me a little longer this time because of my hip and back issues but I'm making progress. It's starting to get cold and Becky and I have been getting the backyard ready for winter. This certainly includes getting the backyard cabana ready for the sunny winter days when I will be out there reading books and listening to music.

The first thing I always do is close the windows and take out the screens. Then I take out the extra chairs that are stored there in the summer and put them away in the inside shed along with a lot of gardening tools. I move most of the planters into there and the backyard table. After Becky is done repotting plants I take the potting table from beside the shed and move it into the cabana too. 

I do a lot of rearranging of stuff in the shed. I move both of the garden hose racks in there along with stacks of backyard chairs. I put the lawnmower in the back of the shed and move the snowblower to the front for easy access. I put a plastic cover over the top of the air conditioner unit to protect it for the winter. 

One of the last things I do is take the two nice comfy front porch chairs and move them into the cabana after taking the two cabana sitting chairs there to the shed. 

Then the final thing... taking the bird feeder out of the shed along with the hanging pole and setting them up on the back porch and ready for winter.

I've written previously about our backyard refugewinter refugesunny days and pandemic office.

No comments: