Monday, November 20, 2023

Rush and Beethoven

Now why or how could these two come up in the same sentence. In the same conversation. Anytime, anywhere in a discussion about music. The other day I saw an article on a news site where Geddy Lee from the Canadian band Rush was being interviewed about a memoir he has recently published. Lee made a really stupid and ridiculous comment about punk music and his music. He said "Punks band made us seem like Beethoven by comparison."

Time for a rant.

I should first be clear that I think Rush is maybe the worst sounding band to ever have been pressed on to vinyl and have no redeeming value whatsoever. IMHO. I have no Rush albums in my collection. The worst thing about Rush is that there is some talent buried down under all the bullshit. They are musicians but they just have no taste. They were one of the bands responsible for giving Classic Rock such a bad name. 

So this Geddy Lee, who is the Rush lead singer, bassist and keyboardist, obviously doesn't have any understanding about the evolution of rock music and his own place in that world. I guess maybe he really hasn't figured that the punk music is a direct reaction and response to dinosaur bands like Rush and their incessant self-important version of their own mind numbing boring stereotypical proggy parody of themselves. The vocals of Rush are horrid screeching and their lyrics are pompous self-important crap. The music meanders everywhere. Every time I've heard Rush on the radio I've changed the station or ran out of the room. I especially dislike their brainy confused overcomplicated sound and stupid lyrics. Just no redeeming value.

When one of my music friends brings up who they think is the worst band and ask me about my opinion I always come right out with Rush and their waste of talent.

Comparing themselves to Beethoven is some real pathetic shit. 

No comments: