Thursday, November 16, 2023

Speaking in Tongues - Talking Heads in Concert

Another in my series of posts about albums in my collection that I saw the artist perform the music from the album around the time it was released. Becky and I saw them perform at UB Arena in 1983. I had seen them in 1980 squeezed on a small club stage but this was very different. This was a performance show and they had an expanded group of funk musicians touring with them as part of the band including the incredible keyboardist Bernie Worrell.  Talking Heads plus. 

Shows from this tour would later be part of the concert film Stop Making Sense so it's nice to go back and watch it and relive this concert. We enjoyed the show very much and David Byrne was quite the performer in his large square off suit doing his crazy dancing. The band was awesome.

I had already seen them live and I had their 1982 live album The Name of the Band is Talking Heads double LP so I knew what to expect that night but they were way beyond expectations and were spectacular. One of my favorite all time rock concerts. The UB Arena had wonderful acoustics for that show too.

Later on we would see the film of this concert tour Stop Making Sense and the soundtrack live album of the same name.



No comments: