Sunday, November 19, 2023

Home Security Battery Check

Around 4 am this morning our home security system which was not active began to beep. One beep every minute. Of course it woke both of us up and I went downstairs to check the system. I entered our code and saw that it was a battery check warning beep. The system wanted me to replace the emergency backup battery. That stopped it... for the time being. All I could think of is the grandchildren coming here in a few days and if that thing started beeping in the middle of the night there would be some problems.

Those system batteries are supposed to be replaced about every five years so I guess we were due. They are part of the emergency backup system in case we would lose power the alarms would still work and especially the smoke and fire detection devices. 

When I got up this morning the first thing I did was go down to the basement to check out the battery which is located in the box in the front shelf room. After unlocking it I saw that it was one of those big batteries. Somehow I thought it might be some regular type battery that we had in a drawer somewhere. Not. 

I went online to look up the battery for a Honeywell home security system like ours and found the size and model. I first took a picture of our battery to compare it with what I was finding online. That was easy. At first I thought I would go over to Value Home Center today and pick up a replacement battery but looking online convinced me to buy online too. I went on Amazon and saw exactly the replacement make and model I needed for about $20. I ordered it and it will be delivered on Tuesday. Two days from now and in time before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday with the kids in the house. So easy.

No comments: