Saturday, November 11, 2023

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother & The Holding Company in Concert

This is the first in a series of posts about albums in my collection that I saw the artist perform the music from the album around the time it was released. There have been a lot of social media discussions about albums in my feeds where people want a list of albums with certain criteria. Most often something about being influential on your own musical taste. I've done that before in various configurations. This is a little different and the albums in this group are special to me and of course there is always a story. A few years ago I created my A to Z Live list and have been regularly updating it as I research the many concerts I've been to over the years. I was surprised at how many historical tour resources there are out there but also how many are missing.

I first saw Janis Joplin sing with Big Brother & The Holding Company in mid 1968 at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia. I would see her again in 1969 and 1970 but those are different albums and different posts. I bought the Cheap Thrills album around the time I saw them perform. I was stunned seeing Janis Joplin perform on a tiny stage in a small downtown club. It was awesome.

An interesting thing about this album is that it was recorded with crowd sounds added to create the illusion that it was a live album. Only one song, Ball and Chain, was actually recorded in concert. Well, it did make for an exciting sounding album at the time that captured the excitement of their shows which I certainly experienced that night. It's interesting to note that a few months after this album was released Janis left the band for a solo career.

John Hammond opened up for them at the Electric Factory down on Arch Street. I had to go to the early show because I was only 16 at the time.

A few months later in October of 1968 I saw her again with Big Brother & The Holding Company playing the Quaker City Rock Festival down at the Spectrum. This show at a bit arena was nowhere near as intense as seeing them in a small club. They also played a lot less because of the larger lineup of groups performing that night.



No comments: