Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Backyard Refuge

We are very fortunate to have our backyard during these months of the pandemic. Not everyone has a place of refuge like we do. Our yard has been described as park like because of the trees and the many gardens. It is very big for the city and a terrific place to hang out during these trying times. 

Becky has created wonderful gardens and the many trees provide a much needed solace. The birds and other wildlife are a joy. We especially love the humming birds and the many rabbits. One bunny in particular likes to hang out with me when I'm sitting in a chair reading. This rabbit will lay down within a couple of feet of me. 

Our cabana shed has been well used this year as always although we haven't had anyone else sitting there with us as we've had for so many years previously. We've actually only had people over twice all summer and both times was when Katie was visiting and people came over to see her, Todd and the kids. We certainly did not have our usual social activities in the backyard as usual. However, I did spend a lot of time this summer sitting in that room and sitting on chairs in the backyard. 

We made some changes to the cabana room this year including moving a comfy sofa chair back there. I rearranged the chairs and the table and added a desk chair so that I had a comfortable place to sit with my laptop. I sat there writing many times and especially enjoyed sitting there in the evenings, writing and watching the activities of the birds and animals. I've also enjoyed sitting in chairs out in the yard writing in my notebook.  Much of this essay was initially written that way. It's been a joy to sit in either place and experience the backyard.

During the warmest times of the summer I had a fan in the room. As we approach the colder temperatures I've contemplated putting a heater in the room and using it farther into the season. I always take out the screens and replace the glass all around which makes the room more comfortable but I have also used the room to store furniture and lawn tables over the winter. 

Another wonderful thing about the room is the stereo. I've always had music in the room which has somewhat evolved over the years but still is always there to play my music. I can play CDs, my iPod or music from a flash drive. Sometimes I sit in the backyard with my headphones on listening to something on my iPod while reading a book. Very relaxing.


No comments: