Sunday, October 9, 2022

WXPN

WXPN, the non-commercial public radio station from the University of Pennsylvania has always been one of my favorite sources of new music. I began to listen to it regularly when I returned to living in Philadelphia in early 1974 after my four years in the Navy. 

The station started in the mid-1940's and became a student operated station during the 1960's and early 1970's. In 1974 there was an obscenity problem with a student run call in show which had a rebuke from the FCC and a suspended operating license. The station changed shortly after and semi/professional on air staff were introduced as volunteers. There was a great improvement of the on air programming which through the late 70's and early 80's with an eclectic mix folk, rock, jazz, progressive and ethnic music. Becky and I listened to WXPN regularly throughout our years together in Philly. Not just the Sleep Hollow morning show but we also regularly had that station on for their weekend night Blues show. There was also a time when I was working some late shifts at the VA and I had their late night programs on like Star's End. Lots of electronic music which was unusual to hear on the radio in the 1970's. 

Earlier this year I wrote about their weekend morning program Sleepy Hollow which over the years has been an inspiration for many of my mixes.  When we visit Katie and Todd in Philly they usually have WXPN on every day. I also use their website and blog to keep up with the music they play. All of their playlist are posted. It is also possible to listen to their program live online which I do sometimes. I use the posted playlists for my own mix ideas. I was also able to download many of their CDs of new music sample collections over the years. 

WXPN.org

No comments: