Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Bunny Alert

Earlier this evening at dusk I took a little walk around the backyard. It was still very warm out and a pleasant sunset. I had walked towards the way back and was standing there enjoying the evening when I noticed a rabbit a few feet away. I had missed it because it blended into the grass and fallen leaves. It was quite still and staring at me. Then it started munching grass while keeping an eye on me. Now this would ordinarily not be anything special except for the past couple of months we have not seen very many bunnies in our backyard. We also have not seen any during our walks through the neighborhood.

In late August and early September we had a coyote or maybe it was fox hanging around the neighborhood and seen my many residents including me. I wrote a post about our neighborhood coyote back then. We have seen hardly any rabbits since that time... until this evening.

In mid-August when Katie and the kids were here visiting us we went for walks in the evenings with the kids to look for bunnies. We would see lots of them and Clara in particular was very good at spotting bunnies. One evening we counted ten of them just within a few blocks of our house. Now of course Becky and I are sometimes taking our walks earlier in the evening or sometimes in the late afternoon which may be limiting the number of rabbits we see but recently we haven't seen any at all no matter what time of the day we walk through the neighborhood. It has been a little disturbing and especially in our backyard where I haven't seen a bunny in close to two months. Until this evening.

So I was very happy to see this bunny. I had been used to seeing multiple bunnies all over our yard all summer who would often come within a couple of feet of me while I sat in the yard. I quietly backed away from this cautious rabbit in our yard and went back into the house. I told Becky about seeing this little guy, she was excited too and wanted to see him. She got up from the couch, put on some shoes and and we both went back out. At first she couldn't see the rabbit became of the darkness and the camouflage. He was well hidden but then there he was. Becky was overjoyed to see him too. Then we both went happily back into our house knowing that the bunnies were back.

No comments: