Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Random Album Effect - Little

Random Album Effect - Little

A four pack of albums that I played today that all start with Little in the title. I started off with a Vic Chestnutt album from 1990 called Little. That was the start. I like Vic Chestnutt very much and have a dozen albums of his in my collection. This is the earliest one and was indeed his first recorded record. This album was produced by Michael Stipe of R.E.M. It was just the singer and his guitar. 

The next up in this sequence was from the band Blanche and their album Little Amber Bottles from 2007. Their sound could be described as gothic indie-country-folk-rock influenced by early American folk music coming from snake oil wild eyed preachers. Weird Americana. This band backed up Loretta Lynn on her Van Lear Rose album, toured with The White Stripes and Calexico. I have both their albums and love them both. It was a treat listening to this one today.

This was followed by Little Bird, the seventh album, from Australian country music artist Kasey Chambers. It is a little more pop country than her earlier albums but very entertaining. While listening to this Becky and I were talking about being a country singer in Australia from the outback. I have eight of her albums in my collection. 

I closed this set with Norah Jones' fifth album Little Broken Hearts from 2012 and produced with Danger Mouse which is probably why this record sounded uniquely different from other albums in her catalog. I have seven of her albums and all are were released before this except for one from 2016. All of her albums are on the Blue Note label and I've liked them on. She has a wonderful voice although I'm not always excited by her material. This album certainly had a different sound which could be described as experimental chamber electronic embellished confessional songs that explores the dark side of love. Well, it sounded pretty good.

  • Vic Chesnutt - Little, 1990
  • Blanche - Little Amber Bottles, 2007
  • Kasey Chambers - Little Bird, 2011
  • Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts, 2012

No comments: