Thursday, October 20, 2022

Random Album Effect - Little 2

Another set of music with Little in the title of the album. This group was a little more eclectic. 

I started off this evening with the one hit wonder group The Music Explosion with their hit A Little Bit Of Soul from 1967. It was mostly downhill from that point for this Best Of album released in 2002. It was mostly run of the mill white boy garage rock of the mid-1960's. The vocals were usually good but the arrangements sounded like a Young Rascals wannabe band. It was an entertaining peak at a time and a place in the 1960's. Of course they had their share of cover songs on this album too including their version of 96 Tears and a version of The Little White Egg. 

From there the music switched to very drastic modern electronic sound of Groove Armada and their 2015 album Little Black Book. This album had some definite high points and low points. It was dance music that often turned into background music and close to being used on an elevator. That being said I did like this album and I do like this English electronic duo and especially their earlier albums which go back to the late 1990's. I have nine of their albums in my collection.

Next up was a surprise. I had forgotten about the Seattle grunge band Harvey Danger and their later third album Little by Little released in 2005. It actually sounded pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised by the music which had a sound that had moved on from grunge into a more power pop feel. I liked it and I'm sure I probably only listened to this a couple of times when I got it about fifteen years ago. I also have their first album Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone? released in 1997. I'm going to need to listen to that album again soon.

The set ended with one of my favorite bands Talking Heads and an album that I probably don't listen to enough or as much as most of their other albums. Little Creatures from 1985. It sounded great. The album also contained some alternate versions of some of the most popular songs from that album which sounded nice. 

Overall I really liked listening to these albums at this time and it was an example of why l like doing these Random Album Effect sets. This was a variety of music that I hadn't listened to in awhile. Music that was off my radar but on my hard drive there for the experience at any time.

  • The Music Explosion - Little Bit of Soul: Best of The Music Explosion, 2002
  • Groove Armada - Little Black Book, 2015
  • Harvey Danger - Little By Little, 2005
  • Talking Heads - Little Creatures, 1985

No comments: