Saturday, April 13, 2024

March 1972

March 1972 is written on the back of this photo of me on my Navy ship the USS Plymouth Rock. I haven't seen this picture in about 50 years and found it in a box of "stuff" on the 3rd floor. I'm wearing a hat with PR on it which refers to the name of the ship. 

In March 1972 I was on a Mediterranean Sea deployment cruise. If this was early March I was probably heading across the Atlantic Ocean. If it was mid March I was probably off the coast of Spain and if was late March then I was in the waters of Greece.

I don't remember where I am on the ship at this time. I'm standing in front of a hatch to another compartment and there is a loudspeaker above my head that was used for routine announcements and general quarters calls. I'm wearing my dungarees and bluejacket so I must have just come from being on deck. I certainly wouldn't be wearing the jacket if I was coming to or from my duty station in the engine room. Maybe this was early March and we were up on deck gazing at the Northern Lights which we saw several times crossing the North Atlantic. Otherwise it was warm off the coast of Spain and Greece but of course maybe it was night.

No comments: