Monday, April 1, 2024

Dyngus Day... April Fools

I wonder how often Dyngus Day falls on April Fool's Day. When I was a kid we certainly celebrated April Fool's Day and it went on all day with the jokes and dumb comments. I never heard of Dyngus Day growing up in Philadelphia and I went to a catholic high school with a significant number of kids from Polish neighborhoods. No Dyngus Day. 

The first time I ever heard of it was about a year or so after moving to Buffalo. I was thinking about that today and went online and looked up the history of Dyngus Day. I found out it has been a Buffalo thing. Nobody celebrated Dyngus Day anywhere else initially and especially not in Poland. Over the years the Dyngus Day celebrations have started happening in nearby places like Cleveland and Pittsburg. Recently in Chicago too. I checked on Philly and found out this year is the 10th year that there has been an official Dyngus Day celebration in that city. They have parades but nothing like Buffalo. Also this city has a big tradition of going out to bars on Dyngus Day. 

Historically the day after Easter has been celebrated across central and eastern Europe as a party after the restrictions of Lent and the celebration is very different in Poland and not about Polish culture as it is in Buffalo. It was also called Wet Monday and a pagan celebration of Spring.

No comments: