Thursday, January 4, 2024

Shango For Dinner

Tonight we went out for dinner after a long day which for me included my first session of physical therapy for my dislocated shoulder. We also wanted to relax after that long week following the holiday. We considered several restaurants and almost went for Cucina, the new Italian restaurant at the Richardson Complex before deciding on something more casual this time. We headed over to The Steer and were hoping to get a table near the fireplace.

As we drove past the front of the building I noticed that the front bar area seemed dark. The outside lights were on and it looked open except my first brief impression was that it was closed. We turned into the parking lot and it was empty. The large dining room in the back looked dark and empty. The Lake Effect Diner across the parking lot was also obviously closed. I looked at my phone and brought up the Steer website which stated they were open tonight. Well, something happened. We pulled out of the parking lot and considered where to go for dinner. We had lots of options but decided to just go down the street a couple of blocks to Shango. Later on the way home from Shango we drove past the Steer again and noticed a sign on the front door. Something must have happened.

So we parked at Shango and walked in the restaurant. It was quiet and cozy. Very warm too. We got nice seats at a booth and proceeded to have some of our usual food that we love at this restaurant. First we ordered a couple of beers. Becky got an Allagash White and I ordered a Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA. Both on tap.

I had a bowl of gumbo and then a catfish po' boy with sweet potato fries. Becky got a shrimp po' boy with those wonderful sweet potato fries. The food was delicious as usual and the service was great. As we had our dinner many more people came in and there was a nice Thursday evening crowd.


I ordered a second beer and got a Czech Pilsner Urquell. I had forgotten it came in this gigantic mug. It tasted great but I had to give some of it to Becky. There was just too much of it. I'll need to remember to get that beer first next time I have a craving for a big mug of pilsner. 


We had a wonderful dinner.



No comments: