Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra in Concert

In April 1973 I was home on leave for a week after having been overseas for several months and I went to a concert at the Spectrum in Philly with friends to see Mahavishnu Orchestra who were opening the show for Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention.  I had seen Zappa a few times previously over the years but I was really excited about seeing John McLaughlin and his new band.

They put on a fantastic show and played songs from their first two released albums Birds of Fire and The Inner Mounting Flame. I was very impressed with the musicians and the quality of the music. John Hammond started off the show.

The concert ended with Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. I had seen them several times before but each Zappa show is unique and this one was no different. This would be the last time I saw Zappa in concert. In 1975 I stopped going to any big arena concerts at venues like the Spectrum.

No comments: