Thursday, January 18, 2024

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen in Concert

Bruce Springsteen live at the Tower Theater on the Born To Run Tour. This was the sixth and final time I saw Bruce in concert and it was another three hour blast of  rock and roll.

The first time I saw him was in 1973 when he opened up for Jackson Browne at Villanova. John and I went to see JB and were surprised and amazed by Springsteen and his band. A few months later I was out of the Navy and got to see him play at the Main Point. It was really fun to see him play in a small club. Later in 1974 I would see him again at the Main Point, the Tower Theater and at Widener College. He was very popular in the Philly area. They were all great shows.

So why did I never go see him again. In 1976 I decided to stop going to large arena and stadium concerts and I have never gone to one since then. I just didn't like seeing live music in these huge crowds and tiny stages off in the distance. I still continued to regularly go to see live music but I mostly only went to clubs and theaters. Occasionally I would go to a concert in a park or downtown square with a few thousand people but that was about it. Someplace like the Tower Theater in Philly or Sheas Theater in Buffalo would hold about 3,000 people. That would be the largest venues. So no more Bruce Springsteen who would then only play hocky arenas like the Spectrum in Philly or the Aud in Buffalo.

No comments: