Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Dictionaries

I was back upstairs going through the many books stored in boxes on the third floor and also on the shelves in the kid's rooms. Everything has been rearranged including the book shelves on the first floor too.

I found a lot of dictionaries. Many different kinds and sizes. We had about a dozen or so paperbacks with many of them decades old and falling apart. I needed to throw several of them away into the recycle container. A few others I saved to place in our neighborhood little libraries for someone to possibly use. 

Some of those books were Spanish and French dictionaries too. I don't think we have any use for them as they were probably used by the kids in school many years ago. There were also a few thesaurus books. 

There were several children's dictionaries which I kept and put on the shelf with the kid books. A few of them were very specific like a Dictionary of Dinosaurs. 

I also had a large hard bound two volume dictionary was I got while I was in the Navy as part of an Encyclopedia Americana set. The copywrite on these dictionaries was 1971. We are not keeping them and I think Becky will try to sell them on eBay.

I always had a dictionary and thesaurus around when I was writing anything anywhere at anytime. Well, until a decade or so ago. I kept those book very handy on or near my desk both at home and at work. I was constantly writing reports at work and those writing tools were a necessity.

In recent years and especially since I've been writing several hours everyday in this blog I have been dependent on online dictionaries. For a long time I had an online dictionary in a window handy when needed. Recently now I just put the word in Google search window and the word either comes up in a dictionary or some other process where the correct spelling can be determined. It also works as a thesaurus for synonyms and antonyms. All very useful.

No comments: