Friday, March 4, 2022

Andrew Keegan

During my first day of exploring my family tree on Ancestry I discovered more about my maternal grandmother's grandfather. I've heard her refer to him over the years but today I found out his first name was Andrew. There is still a lot I need to find out about him. He was the father of my great grandfather Thomas Keegan who bought the house on Seymour Street in 1909 that me and Becky would later live in during the 1970's. Andrew Keegan was born in Ireland and according to Mom-Mom he came to America around 1842. He was the person who brought the shillelaghs to America that I found in the house on Seymour Street.

When our son Sean was born we gave him the middle name Keegan because the name had died out in our family. The Keegan family on Seymour Street had one son and four daughters. Their son, my Uncle Tom, did not have any children and then there were no more male Keegan's in the family. My daughter Katie also gave her son the middle name of Keegan.

Sean and Ashley named their son Andrew Thomas Emery. The were very thrilled when I told them today that my great great grandfather was named Andrew. Suddenly their son's name was a family name. It is also interesting that Andrew Keegan named his son Thomas. So my new grandson has the same name as his great-great-great-great grandfather and his great-great-great grandfather. He also has one of those shillelaghs in his house.

No comments: