Sunday, January 30, 2022

Random Album Effect - Live (3)

My listening to live albums continues... this next set starts with Stevie Ray Vaughan and that album sounded great. Every song was killer. Becky and I saw in a small club in Buffalo on Seneca Street in 1983 touring on his Texas Flood album. There weren't many people there. It was a great show and this is a great live album.

Next up was a live Thin Lizzy album that I had forgotten I even had in my collection. It was a double album released in 1978 and contained songs from concerts in London in 1976 and Philadelphia in 1977. I was never a fan of this rock group from Dublin and I really only knew there one big hit The Boys Are Back in Town from 1976. I actually enjoyed this set of music very much.

Then I was hit with Nirvana Live and Loud. Yes it was. This was a live recording made at a show in Seattle in 1993. I found the album very boring and bordering on unlistenable. They screamed and ranted through the whole thing and the songs had none of the sound dynamics that made many of the songs on their albums so interesting. None of their slow songs were in the show and the album also did not contain their biggest hit Smells Like Teen Spirit. What happened? I couldn't wait for the set to finish and move on to the next album.

The following album was completely different. Rick Danko from The Band performed a quiet bluesy set of classic blues, country and memorable songs from his time with The Band. This album was a collection of live material from several live albums he recorded during his career that sadly ended early with his death in 1999. Nothing that he did rose to the level of his work with The Band but it was very pleasant and was a wonderful break from the screaming and dissonant guitars from the previous live set.
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live Alive, 1986
  • Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, 1978
  • Nirvana - Live and Loud, 2013
  • Rick Danko - Live Anthology, 2011











No comments: