Saturday, January 8, 2022

David Bowie 75

Today would be David Bowie's 75th birthday. I still really do miss him and the anticipation of a new David Bowie album. He was very consistently throughout his fifty some years of recording always interesting and usually great records.

Over the years I've tried to collect all of his music including compilations, box sets and live albums. My total count is slightly over 50 titles.

I've enjoyed every period of Bowie's music including some of those first couple of abums in the late 60's. The only ones I didn't care too much for were the two Tin Machine albums but of course I have them. However, I don't have the two live Tin Machine albums.

And of course there were the movies. I loved him in The Man Who Fell to Earth. Also The Hunger and Labyrinth.

There have been a lot of books written about Bowie and his music and I've read a few. I could probably spend the rest of my life with a Bowie book at my side. I recently a new biography along with a couple other books one about his recommended reading and his science fiction influence on music in the 70's. I has also read another biography of him in the early 1980's.

So earlier today I head some Bowie songs on WXPN which just whetted my appetite for more. This afternoon I put on my Spotify playlist Starman: Bowie Cycle which is based on a series of CD mixes I made with all things Bowie over the years. Now it runs about ten hours.

Here is a link to my post about the Starman playlist and a couple of the books I read recently... Bowie's Bookshelf, Strange Stars, and David Bowie: A Life.

No comments: