Monday, January 25, 2021

Random Album Effect - My (1)

Earlier in the day I was playing the Woody Guthrie 4 CD compilation set My Dusty Road. I later continued listening from the end of that album and came up with the following set. I wrote about Woody here.

I've always been a big fan of the acoustic folk guitar work of Leo Kottke and I like his occasional vocals too. I think he is a wonderful song writer. My Father's Face from 1989 is a very pleasant album produced by T- Bone Burnette. I could listen to Leo Kottke all day long.

The next album up was the last record by Guy Clark My Favorite Picture of You released in 2013 and won a Grammy for best folk album. Sadly he died in 2016. It's a wonderful sounding record and nicely followed the Kottke album. There was some wonderful female duet and background singing on the album by Morgane Stapleton.

This was followed by the incomparable John Coltrane and his 1961 album My Favorite Things. This would sound wonderful following anything. Every cut on this album is a classic.

Then it was back to a folk sound with Irish singer Damien Rice's My Favourite Faded Fantasy from 2014. This is his 3rd album which I found to be very good but just not up to the really high levels of his first two albums. I especially loved his first one.

Holly Golightly. Sometimes called the British Garage Rock Queen. My First Holly Golightly Album released in 2005 is actually a compilation of her favorite tracks going back to 1995. This is a highly entertaining collection and a wonderful way to end this set of random albums.

I really enjoyed all of these albums.

  • Leo Kottke - My Father's Face, 1989
  • Guy Clark - My Favorite Picture of You, 2013
  • John Coltrane - My Favorite Things, 1961
  • Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy, 2014
  • Holly Golightly - My First Holly Golightly Album, 2005





No comments: